Only for the MQ Java Client, and in that case they must be written in Java.
Though this can just be a Java stub which invokes C code using JNI.

I had heard of one MQ customer that was seriously considering writing C
stubs that used the Java invocation mechanisms to drive Java channel exits
code.   Whether they ever did it for real, or if it is apocryphal or not I
don't know.   I think this could be forced to work on some platforms, but on
MVS I very much doubt it.

In general channel exits will be written in C on the distributed platforms,
though there's probably no real reason you couldn't use some other compiled
language if you worked hard at it.

On MVS (or OS/390, or z/OS if you like) the normal choice would be to write
them in assembler, PL/X (if available - I wish IBM would release it), or C
(typically the Systems Programming C dialect).

Cheers
Dave