Anybody can change the MQ_USER_ID environment variable, so it provides
no measure of true authentication, anyway. If client security is very
important, then you've got a significant challenge on your hands that
will need considerable architectural attention--you're looking at some
combination of security exits, an upgrade to get SSL support,
third-party software, etc. On the other hand, you can get a moderate
level of security without too much effort. Some observations:

1. You may find that restricting the NT userid length (as a standard)
provides other benefits and that, relatve to other solutions, is not so
ominous after all.

2. If you have only a few clients, then you can provide a separate
server channel for each and supply the userid in MCAUSER.

3. From MQ's perspective it is not necessary for the NT account to have
a matching UNIX account. You only need to authorize the 10-character NT
userids in MQ's security namespace. In other words, you can authorize
'NT USER 01' to the Unix MQ server even though it's longer than 8
characters.

It is important to note that MQ security and the Unix OS security are
separate beasts.  Your MQ USERID and UNIX USERID are not necessarily the
same.  The MQ_USER_ID which MQ passes in the client connection only
pertains to MQ SECURITY and does  not mean the UNIX server process runs
under that account (unless you have done an 'SU' or something to that
effect in the server process).

Regards,
Dennis