Hello Benjamin,

T.Rob is right in principle, of course. But I guess, the connections had to go down,
anyway, with these tcp settings. Just in case, what was your tcp_keepcnt? And, did you
check your new tcp parameters took effect immediately? Also, I am not sure if the
change takes effect for the existing connections (never checked that..). What else may
have happened is that the applications were actually alive, although idle, in which
case you do not have much control.. that's why DoS attacks are so nasty when done by
the legitimate apps :-)

Pavel

                      "Wyatt, T. Rob"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      MERICA.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries           Subject:  Re: many svrconn
instances, as many amqcrsta running
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      C.AT>

                      06/08/2004 11:05 AM

Benjamin,

Using QMgr tuning to bring these channels down addresses only the symptom.
Unless you correct the problem at it's root, nothing you do will scale well.
The application MUST properly close it's resources and disconnect from the
QMgr.  If you successfully tune the channels, you will probably get through
development and testing but you might not see the real impact until the
application is in Production.  On the other hand, if you leave your channels
as they are now, you will have a convenient way to measure the success of
the developers in fixing their code.

-- T.Rob