Marc, thanks for the reply.

Now that you say it, I think I remember having read about this equivalence
acoustic bass <=> contrabass in another thread either here on the ML
or in the fora.

Just to avoid future repetitions of the question, I think I will change the
acoustic bass entry in this way:

<Instrument id="acoustic-bass">
    <init>contrabass</init>
    <longName>Acoustic Bass</longName>
    <shortName>Bass</shortName>
    <description>Acoustic Bass</description>
    <musicXMLid>pluck.bass.acoustic</musicXMLid>
    <Channel>
        <program value="32"/>
    </Channel>
</Instrument>

This should make clear to anybody else perusing the file that the entry
refers to a contrabass, while keeping the specific names and plucked style
(I'll check the <init> tag supports all the required tags, though).

I think with the details you provided, this part of instruments.xml can be
reasonably considered done.

[Side note: The entry for contrabass is also not entirely clear:
1) it is duplicated into a "contrabass" and a "double-bass" entry, with the
same data except for the names; probably an <init> would be useful
here too.
2) Pitch ranges for both oscillate between a low E tuning and a (5-string?)
low B tuning.]

Thanks,
Maurizio