I also don't understand the C++ concept of casting.  Of course I have a very
high level conceptual understanding.  But the whole system seems to get
confusing at the extremes.  I.e., if there are many different methods none
of which exactly match, and lots of ways to auto-cast the arguments.  Which
one has priority, and do we know whether this decision happens the same way
on every version of every compiler on every architecture, independent of in
which order the files were compiled etc.

I am very new to C++.  I'm using xcode on the mac.  When I compile
musescore, it compiles with no errors, but nevertheless with lots of
warnings.   I'm afraid to fix any of the warnings because they are in code I
don't understand.  It would be great if we (the collective developers) could
eliminate all the warnings.  Not sure if that is even possible, as perhaps
some of the warnings are just plain wrong?  Not sure.