Jim Newton wrote
> I'm working on a function which extends (adds notes to) some chords
> according to a particular algorithm.
> I'm using the function chord->score()->addNote() to insert the notes.
> Unfortunately, this function creates notes whose note->line() is 0.  I
> guess this gets rectified later.
>
> This poses a problem, because as the function proceeds, it cannot
> determine which notes are really on line=0, and which just have line=0
> because they have not been "finalized" yet.
>
> Does anyone know how to either force the line calculation to occur and
> note->_line to get set, OR how to determine if a given note has not yet
> been "finalized"?
>
> Thanks.

It would help to know why do you need the line value of a note: are you
trying to improve the graphical placement of other elements with respect to
the graphical placement of the note? For things like this knowing the line
would / could help. These are tasks which are typically done during the
layout phase(s) though.

For other tasks, like determining the pitch or the 'spelling' of a note, the
line is irrelevant; the note pitch and/or tpc's should be used instead.