Hi All!

My name is Kathryn, currently a second year student studying at University
of Toronto Engineering Science. Alto in choir, amateur piano player. I have
years of experience programming in C and python, and I've been working on my
C++ skills for a few months. I've been using MuseScore to compose and
compile scores for a year now, thanks to the awesome work from everyone
here.

It would be wonderful if I had the chance to work with you guys this summer,
as this is the sole reason I am applying to GSoC 2016.

As of now, I have skimmed through the developer's handbook and completed the
following:
  > Forked from Github, downloaded relevant tools
  > Compiled on mac successfully
  > Played around with command line options
  > Skimmed through Github Code in MuseScore/mscore

I'd like to contribute back to the project by working on "Half/double
durations". I am motivated to solve this problem as I've encountered the
same problem while composing, and the only way I could deal with it was to
adjust the tempo in the play panel before exporting.

My idea is to add an option under menuNotes called 'menuDuration'. Here you
would be able to choose Half / Double duration for the notes selected (if
notes are not selected, the option is greyed out). Some complexities that I
can think of are:
  > Depending on the score, there might be braced staffs. If the user
chooses to only edit the duration of one line, measures should not be
deleted and shifted;
  > As mentioned in the ideas list, measures need to be full;
  > Any key changes, time signature changes etc. need to be accounted for.
I expect more difficulties and bugs to pop up along the way.

I'll need some more time to come up with a good timeline and familiarize
myself with Qt, but will update you guys constantly. Any feedback would be
appreciated!

Thank you and hope to hear back from you soon :)

Best,

Kathryn