> I would suggest that you use the soundfont format as the type - eg
<Synthesiser type="sf2"> or <Synthesiser type="sfz">.

I'm not sure which approach is better.  That depends on how the synthesizers
are implemented, and I'm not at all familiar with the MuseScore source code.
(I've skimmed it a bit, but that's all.)

I was figuring there would be an abstract class called
SynthesizerConfiguration, or something like that, that would define an API
for playing notes, setting dynamics, etc.  That API would not be
midi-specific, so it would work entirely in terms of musical events ("set
dynamics") rather than technology-specific ones ("set controller x to value
y").  There would be various subclasses for particular synthesizers or
technologies, and the "type" tag would determine which subclass was
instantiated.

So the question is what subclasses would need to exist.  Could there be a
single subclass that works equally well for any sfz based synthesizer?  Or
would there need to be a Zerberus-specific subclass?  From what I've seen,
it would be the latter.  For example, there's no generic mechanism for
telling an sfz based synth to load a particular file.  The loadInstrument()
method is specific to Zerberus.

> We also need to agree on the spelling of the word Synthesiser which is
> spelt differently by Americans compared to the rest of the English
> speaking world.

As far as the code is concerned, it looks like that decision has already
been made:

https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore/tree/d13e2406c6ee5abdf6f53fe9e3fc399b6f0db0ba/synthesizer

The UI is a different matter, of course.  Having localizations (or
localisations :) for American and British English totally makes sense.

> It is perfectly possible to produce an SF2 soundfont which controls
> articulation by means of velocity switching

Ok, then it sounds like configurations for Fluid and Zerberus should also
support all of the other tags for specifying midi commands?

Peter