Thanks for the reply, lasconic.

lasconic wrote
> Maybe you have another Qt installed by your system?

Sure I have: the Mint 17.3 distro comes with Qt 5.3. However it should not
matter, as Qt 5.4 and 5.8 are installed in my home and, for instance, while
using Qt 5.8, it finds everything it needs from its own code base.

Dealing with master AND 2.1 practically requires to have three Qt versions:
the one which ships with the distro, 5.4 for 2.1 and 5.6+ for master. What
am I supposed to do? Keeping the sources of master on one PC and the sources
of 2.1 on another?

Anyway, where this damn QWindowSystemInterface is supposed to be found? It
is not described anywhere in the Qt docs...

> See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7864110.html

I did find this post, but it seems related with Gentoo specifics; it
basically says: "Don't mix Qt versions", and we already know we shouldn't,
but in some cases we are forced to do it anyway.

I'll try with some more spells and runes...