lasconic wrote
> I believe your implementation will output an event for each track, right?
> Do you really need this?

I didn't answer this, sorry.  That's a firm "maybe".  The problem is full
measure rests do not generate any midi events at all, so as an example, if
only base is played for the first 5 measures, and I output only on the first
track, I miss those five entirely.  I could probably create something to
track and see if I've output measure X before and suppress it, however I'd
need to also match it to some kind of tick since in repeats I DO want to
output that measure again.

But in reality, disk space is cheap, midi output is tiny overall, and even
if this adds 30% to the size of a file it's a non-event for me. I could see
if this were done in orchestra music with a huge number of tracks it might
be different.  I've got two (that was another aspect of this -- by working
in Export Midi I fixed it to only output the grand staff when there's a
vocal staff above it, and since it's just for me it's hard coded to "2" -- I
can remove that when 3.0 has the midi channel controls).

Thanks again for the pointer.  By staying in just ExportMidi I paid more
attention to it, and doing the track/channel manipulation was pretty easy as
well.