sideways wrote
> MIDI has no concept of rests whatsoever, not just whole measure rests.

I understand, that was my point.   I'm triggering the meta output which tags
a measure by a midi event.   In a whole measure rest there is no midi event
in the measure, so that measure is not tagged.  It vanishes, in the sense of
labels. If there's a (say) quarter rest then a note in the measure, the
measure still gets tagged on the first played note in that measure, so it is
tagged a bit late, but is tagged.

The reason for mentioning it at all was with respect to writing the measure
label in multiple tracks. The issue is that one track may have notes, and
the other rests (no notes), so unless I somehow look across tracks for the
same instance (relative to repeats) of the same measure, I can't know if I
have already written the label.  So I am err'ing on the side of writing more
than needed, rather than missing some.

And really moot since not intending to offer this as a PR.