I wonder if maybe there couldn't be a more streamlined process for purely
bug fix releases?  Not every release necessarily requires a lengthy
announcement or a newsletter, maybe not all require updating apps, not all
have translation implications, etc.

Because absolutely I agree we shouldn't divert more attention from 3.0
development than necessary.  I think that given the magnitude of the
changes coming for 3.0, having 2.1 made sense even though it was a pretty
big release.  I would hope to not have another anything like that before
3.0, so if 2.1 took 20 days, maybe we see how we can make 2.1.x releases in
under a week, with more people helping out so that it isn't a full time
commitment for anyone.

Ideally it would be easier to have more regular bug fix updates.  It's
actually quite encouraging that the half dozen or so issues I mentioned are
essentially *all* that has been reported in the several weeks since the
release.  So if we did a 2.1.1 in June, I would doubt we'd need a 2.1.2
this year.  Depending on the status of 3.0, maybe eventually we hit the
2.0.3 bugs that didn't quite make the list for 2.1, but it's an easier call
to make if we can find a way to do it without taking as much effort as we
spend now - or at least, if we can better distribute the work.

At the very least, what if someone else were to own the coordinating
community builds for Linux, portable apps, etc?