Multithreading is based on interleaved processing, while multiprocessing
means truely parallel actions.
Not 100% correct - depends on hardware implementation. Multithreading
means the ability to achieve parallelism within a single app -
HyperThreading P4 CPUs (predecessors of DualCore ones) provide
hardware support for that (HT CPU have approx two times more
transistors than non-HT and much more expensive ) so that to run a
thread per CPU as ideal case.
Multiprocessing means the ability to run a process or/and a thread of
process per CPU as ideal.
But anyway, GPUs are much-much-more more parallelism-in-mind than CPUs.