One note that SDL is not use game engine or 3d library. Standard
display for SDL is 2D. Please read
http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/FAQUsingSDL

SDL is library as layer which link OS specific hardware, and others
library (x11,gdi, window manager, sound, keyboard, etc) and our app.
Commonly use for creating app from scratch like game, and I think
MSEgui is like game development, it build GUI from scratch.

Windows

Two versions, one safe for all systems based on Win32 APIs, and one
with higher performance, based on DirectX APIs
Safe version uses GDI for video display. High performance version uses
!Direct3D for video display, taking advantage of modern hardware
acceleration
Safe version uses waveOut APIs for sound. High performance version
uses DirectSound for audio playback

Mac OS X

Uses Cocoa for video display, taking advantage of OpenGL for hardware
acceleration
Uses Core Audio for sound

Linux

Uses X11 for video display, taking advantage of OpenGL for hardware acceleration
Uses the ALSA, OSS and PulseAudio APIs for sound

iOS

Uses UIKit for video display, taking advantage of OpenGL ES 2.0 for
hardware acceleration
Uses Core Audio for sound

Android

Uses JNI interfaces for video display, taking advantage of OpenGL ES
1.1 and 2.0 for hardware acceleration
Uses JNI audio callbacks for sound

My temporary conclusion is to port MSEgui to all platform, we don't
need use OpenGL/ES, but use SDL and friends (SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer, etc)
as layer for any OS is enough. MSEgui only focus for GUI development
and IDE and not focus for OS specific.

http://iphonesdkdev.blogspot.com/2009/04/opengl-es-for-iphone-simple-tutorial.html
http://www.anddev.org/sdl_port_for_android_sdk-ndk_16-t9218.html