Hallo Patrick,

Du schriebst am Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:54:12 -0500:

[Linux package]
> I was thinking of doing something like that.  So for a start what do you
> think about:
>
> Where should the library go?  I was thinking of putting it in
> /var/lib/mseide/"version" similar to fpc.

What library? MSEIDE doesn't use a library of its own, if I didn't
misunderstand something very badly.
If you're talking about its (GUI) _sources_, I gather the currently
accepted place would be some subdirectory of /usr/local/share or
even /usr/share - although Martin selected /usr/lib/MSE-IDE, or was that me
who once arranged it that way? Or let the user decide.
(A ../lib directory probabely isn't a very good choice, as these seem to
evolve towards a store for purely binary ressources.
Then there was the include group, which IMHO isn't too good either, because
it's rather meant for pure header files meant for linking to libraries.
Leaves the ../share directories, which currently hold a congolmerate of text
and binary ressources for many purposes, something like a generalized "etc"
repository...)

> Put a symbolic link /usr/bin/mseide or /usr/local/bin/mseide to
> /var/lib/mseide/"verson"/apps/ide/mseide

For an out-of-distribution packet, the /usr/local hierarchy should be
preferred. A distribution packet (or closely related one, which can be
managed by the distribution's packet system) may use the plain /usr
hierarchy.

> What about the user's .mseide/mseideli.sta file?  Do any checks for it

Nothing - Martin made mseide care about it itself. It's currently stored
under ~/.mseide, and that's where it belongs, IMHO.

> or just leave it alone? Do we leave that for the user to update their
> Settings -> Configure MSE manually?

Yes, definitly. A packet shouldn't normally mess with user configurations.
You could add a make option to remove them, though, if mentioned in the
README or so and sufficiently distinctively named, like "cleanall" or even
"cleanuser" - you might find a better name.

> Anything else you can think of?

Well, as I said, you could get fancy here - there are many things you could
do, like install menu entries for the desktop environment used (if any),
put icons on the desktop (if possible), create a setup to let the user
configure any item the IDE allows (fonts,  colors, shortcuts, macros...
you name it) - but I suggest getting the bare minimum done first before
going wild. ;-)

Which would include
- the IDE and the GUI sources
- some means to put them in a convenient (and acceptable) place
- a Makefile to build the IDE and make it available for use
- and possibly a means to undo all of that.

That should be sufficient for a first attempt. If it get approved, you'll
probabely get enough suggestions for improvement to keep you busy...