On 11/18/2013 09:23 PM, Sieghard wrote:
> Though I doubt that there might be any sufficienty urgent need, can't
> you _always_ use any external program for preprocessing any of your
> source files, even be it manually before you compile it? You could
> even use a program compiled with the compiler you intend to use.

Of course (for speed) you should not always use a preprocessor. But the
language should take care that the use of the standard preprocessor (in
fact called "gcc") is possible.

There are only very few things to be given:

  - The syntax should not ask for a line starting with (white space plus) #
  - The syntax should not ask for a line ending with \
  - /* ... */ always is a multi-line content
  - // up to line end is a comment.
  - a blank character needs to be an allowed white space
  - line break is nothing but a white space

Moreover gcc macros provides creation of " characters within a macro's
code. This of course does not help for pascal sources, but onli
invalidates just this feature but not the general usability.

-Michael