>The English and French PDFs have a completely different layout than the
German original. Is this intended?

Huh, completely no, the only thing I did is to disable the 2 columns feature
of the text-layout.
And fit some images on the right place.
IMHO it is much more comfortable to read and that way all the images are fit
on the right place.
Also that way the pdf can easily be used with mobiles and little screens.

But if you prefer multi columns, in LyX settings /  Text layout / check "Two
columns document".

> You used an automatically translated text as start?

Yes a pdf translator online on the web.
It should be great that somebody that speaks well English do a check for
progfun_en.pdf.
Because I think that the English version will be used as template for
translators.

> zusammenzählen -> put

Oops, ok, fixed.

By the way, you cannot imagine how incomprehensible was the translation from
German to French with Google translate.
And doing this from English to French was even worst !