On 03/02/2019 22:15, code dz wrote:
> in simple programs yes , fpc may match up c/c++ speed , but in a real
> world app e.g ( ray tracer )  there is no chance , unless you go down
> and write assembly .

That was my first-hand experience too. I wrote a 3d ray caster for a
demo/game using FPC (code was made public in the Lazarus forums). No
matter what was suggested, I couldn't get close to the performance of
that same program written in C++ or Java. In fact, Java was the fastest
(by a large margin) out of FPC's Object Pascal, C++, JavaScript and
Java. FPC was even slower than JavaScript.

I queried that with the FPC team. Their reply... They know FPC is
lagging in performance, but that is due to their choice. They chose
maintainability over performance, because they are a small development team.

So in my opinion, unless the FPC team grows massively, or there is a
dedicated developer in the FPC team that works purely on performance,
nothing is going to change.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/