On 24/04/2019 16:08, Fred van Stappen wrote:
> I see that there is already a fpc 3.3.x!

Yes, that is FPC Trunk.

> So, what will append, first (when ?) a official release of fpc 3.1.x,
> then (when ?) a official release of fpc 3.2.x, then (when ?) a
> official release of fpc 3.3.x, ....?

versions numbers are define as follows

  <major>.<minor>.<maintenance>

Look at the <minor> number in the version string. All uneven version
numbers are development/unstable versions of FPC. so 2.7.x, 3.1.x, 3.3.x

All even version numbers are or become release versions of FPC. As soon
as a new stable version (branch) is created, also known as a "release
candidate", then Trunk needs a version change too.

So we had FPC 3.1.x  which will eventually become 3.2.0 release. So a
whole ago they branched the 3.2.0 release candidate, which meant Trunk
had to change too, which in turn become the next uneven number... 3.3.x

> And what are the "must-have" of fpc 3.0.x vs 3.1.x vs 3.2.x vs
> 3.3.x?

Only the even <minor> versions!

  2.4.x
  2.6.x
  3.0.x
  3.2.x
...and in the future (normally every 2 years)....
  3.4.x

FPC already announced the next "release candidate". That means they
forked Trunk and gave it the next stable version number "3.2.0" and are
now in the process on stabilising it and doing bug fixes only. Once they
are happy, it becomes the next official stable release for at least 2 years.

In summary:
  The important FPC releases now are 3.0.4 (our current stable released
  version) and 3.2.0 (our soon to be new stable release version).

  https://www.freepascal.org/faq.html#versions

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/