De : Sieghard <s_c_...@arcor.de>
Envoyé : lundi 30 août 2021 23:03
À : mseide-msegui-talk@lists.sourceforge.net
<mseide-msegui-talk@lists.sourceforge.net>
Objet : Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Future of X11, MSEgui, LCL, GTK, QT... with
Wayland.

Hallo Fred van Stappen,

Du schriebst am Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:26:15 +0000:

> In a previous post there was talking about the future of Xorg with
> Wayland.

Well, didn't the Wayland makers promise to fully dismiss and replace
X11, once, sometimes?

> It seems that there are no lot of fear for MSEgui, thanks to XWayland
> who will assure compatibility with all X11 applications.

I'm not so certain.

> I am not so convinced with LCL that uses GTK or QT.

This should instead be much more likely than the unlimitied support of
X11 - after all, GTK and QT both are layers _above_ X11, they _hide_
X11 internals from the user, and they might be modified to do the same
with Wayland internals, so the user doesn't even notice the
transformation.

> For example QT4 is not distributed in all new Linux distros, so a
> application compiled with QT4 will not work on any new distros.

But QT5 will be, for some time, and after it, QT6 might take over, and
so on. The same, probabely, with GTK.

> Also, not sure that XWayland will deal with all version of GTK or QT.

Wrong direction - not Wayland will have to deal with the tool sets
built upon it, the tool sets have to deal with their foundation.

> Note that applications compiled with MSEgui (even older) will still
> work on any new Linux distro, and this for MSEgui-applications from
> 20 years ago and for new one.

Yes, they do so because X11 internals haven't changed all that much
within that time. And they still work - mostly, at least - on
Wayland based Gooeys^WGUIs,  because that _still_ provides an X11
_emulation layer_. They will continue to work that way _as long as_
Wayland provides this layer. If and when it will be discontinued -
and the Wayland people threaten to, indeed, do that one day - those
applications will suddenly caese to work any more.

> MSEgui is the right choice.

You should perhaps think that over.
Not that I would be glad about such a trnasformation, I'd rather
perpetuate the X11 concept, but the people behind Wayland have quite
some power with them, people say, and they might be able to do away
with X11 altogether. It has already lost much of its conceptual
strength within the last decade or so, sadly. (Most of its network
functionality, at least.)