Hallo Fred van Stappen,

Du schriebst am Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:12:38 +0000:

> >> For example QT4 is not distributed in all new Linux distros, so a
> > But QT5 will be, for some time, and after it, QT6 might take over,
> Yes but what I wanted to note is that the limitation are bigger with
> Qt than for msegui/fpgui. I have a  old free application done with

For now, yes. No longer maintained X11 certainly is more "stable" than
constantly refreshed Qt or GTK, but  exactly by that means, msegui will
not be able to even use anything new provided by its foundation.

> Sadly, people will not be able to use it with new Linux distribution.
> For example with Ubuntu 21.10, doing
> <https://sites.google.com/site/fiensprototyping/home>
> $> sudo apt-get install libqt4pas-dev
> Will give a error "Package does not exist', the same for libwebkit4qt.

Because it wasn't developed further and thus cannot make use of the
_current_ version of Qt - if the older Qt4 was rebuilt so it can work
on the system, your application _will_ continue to work.

> If the application was gone with msegui or fpgui, it would still work.

For now, and as long as (an appropriate version of) X11 is still
available. Thus, the information of your last message should be a good
one, even though I personally am not so fond of Wayland, mainly because
of its origin and originators. They're (said to be) the same people
that created the never-mature systemd and pressed it "in the market".
I'm afraid that it will be the same with Wayland, that's still far from
mature, if it ever will become so. But, as said before, that's my
personal point of view.

Du schriebst am Mon, 30 Aug 2021 23:15:48 +0000:

> Well, the best would be to have the Wayland interface for msegui.
> Andrew  Haines has done the binding for Wayland.
> https://github.com/andrewd207/fpc-wayland

So that's fine, very fine for msegui, as it should secure it's future
for the time when X11 might be discontinued and done away by some or
even most Linux distributions.