The content of the files is somewhat unhelpful, as I don't believe
people normally added their names to the source code.  A few major
contributors did, but in general that's not the style in GNU projects:
attributions go into a ChangeLog, which mspgcc never maintained, so
the repository is the only record, and that only if whoever did commit
things provided an attribution in the commit message.  Some
contributions may have come through the mailing list to a maintainer
who added them without any record in the repository of where things
came from.

Since major refactoring has occurred over the years and the
maintainers may not have retained attribution, it might also be
necessary to look at the patches to determine whether a significant
contribution remained past the point where any clue of its origin had
been removed.  The periods when the enhancements were maintained as
jumbo patches rather than individual changes obscures a lot of the
history.  It all depends how much diligence you want to apply.

It's helpful for everybody to be aware that it's these legal issues
that are the main reason msp430 support is not in upstream GCC now,
even though every file says it's copyright is owned by FSF.
(msp430-libc is much more diverse, but it's mostly BSD, not GPL, and
we know where everything but one routine came from.)

Since I don't pretend to understand IP law, I'm staying out of this
beyond making sure my own contributions aren't an impediment.

Peter