Hello everyone,

Apologies for a very long email but I am pulling my hair...

I have a MSP430F5528 based board that I want to program but have been
having trouble setting up FET430UIF on Mac OS X (10.7). I followed the
instructions here http://mspdebug.sourceforge.net/tilib.html to
upgrade the firmware to V3 and was able to complete the first two
steps for the upgrade using the latest mspdebug. However, I did not
have the libmsp430.so on my Mac, so could not execute the third step.
I then plugged it in a Windows machine with mspdebug 0.19 and copied
the MSP430.dll after installing MSP430 flasher tool from TI on this
machine but I keep getting device initialization failed. I have also
tried with Linux (compiled latest libmsp430.so) and Mac OS X (both
10.7 and 10.9) with libmsp430.so included with Energia.

Here are the error messages with on various operating systems,

** Windows 7 **

mspdebug.exe tilib -d COM10

MSPDebug version 0.19 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com>

MSP430_Initialize: COM10
Firmware version is 30400020
MSP430_VCC: 3000 mV
tilib: MSP430_VCC: Could not set device Vcc (error = 10)
tilib: device initialization failed

** Linux **

mspdebug tilib -d /dev/ttyACM0

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com>

MSP430_Initialize: /dev/ttyACM0
tilib: MSP430_Initialize: Could not find MSP-FET430UIF on specified
COM port (error = 57)
tilib: device initialization failed

but it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0

[18315.944116] usb 6-1: USB disconnect, device number 6
[18318.912200] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 7 using uhci_hcd
[18319.123153] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its
own. It is not a modem.
[18319.123178] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

and mspdebug can find it as well

mspdebug --usb-list

Devices on bus 008:
    008:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 007:
    007:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 006:
    006:006 2047:0010 FET430UIF (V3 firmware)
    006:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 005:
    005:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 004:
    004:003 045e:0039
    004:002 045e:0752
    004:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 003:
    003:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 002:
    002:001 1d6b:0002
Devices on bus 001:
    001:001 1d6b:0002

sudo ./mspdebug -j uif -U 006:006

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com>

Searching for firmware for TI3410...
    - checking /usr/local/lib//mspdebug/ti_3410.fw.ihex
    - checking ti_3410.fw.ihex
Loaded 13765 byte firmware image (checksum = 0xb5)
Starting download...
ti3410: bulk write failed: No such file or directory
ti3410: firmware download failed

** Mac OS X **

mspdebug tilib -d /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com>
Chip info database from MSP430.dll v3.3.1.4 Copyright (C) 2013 TI, Inc.

MSP430_Initialize: /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131

It gets stuck here and does not proceed forward.

Is there something that I can do to fix or recover it? I am also
unable to downgrade to version 2 of firmware. Would really appreciate
any help and again sorry for the very long message. I wanted to
include everything that I have tried so far.

Thanks