Maarten ter Huurne wrote:
>At 09:55 PM 7/31/98 +0200, Patsie wrote:
>>Eventho a DIN8 has way too many pins, I guess it will suffice for
>>our purpose.
>We could also consider DIN5. That's the one used for audio and for MIDI, so
>it's probably more available.

The difference in availability is of no importance, because if you cannot get
any of the connectors suggested (tulip, jack, DIN8 or DIN5) you can neither
get a DB9! But any self respecting hardware store has all of these in stock.

About using a DIN5, this is also very much possible. In which case I suggest
to use pin 5 as GND and leave the rest as it was with DIN8.

So:

  SEND (DIN5 male)            RECV (DIN5 female)

 D0  1 ---------------+  +-------------- 1  D0
 D1  2 -------------+ |  | +------------ 2  D1
ACK  3 -----------+ | |  | | +---------- 3  ACK
GND  5 -----------|-|-|--|-|-|--+------- 5  GND
                  | | |  | | |  |
                  | | |  | | |  |
                  3 7 6  1 2 8  9

                  MSX (DB9 female)

   female          male

  3       1      1       3
   5     4        4     5
      2              2

>And what about the auto detect option? I asked a couple of days ago, but
>there was no reaction, so I'll ask again:
>Would it be a good idea to connect TRG_A to RIGHT? Using this, we could
>make an "auto detect" option: the program would be able to see in which
>joystick port the network connector is plugged in.

Do you think you can do this? Can you elaborate a bit more on the
method you are thinking of using?

>Also, is it a good idea to connect the ground to the cable shielding? I've
>seen that on a couple of cables.

Yes it is. Since a shielded cable is less sensitive to electro magnetic
interference, I suggest using a shielded cable. Just connect all GND's to
this 'shield'
But we aren't using that long a cable, so it wouldn't hurt if you used
non-shielded cable, in which case you connect your GND's to one of the
normal lines. -JUST USE THAT GROUND- ;-)

Greetz,

   Patsie