Hi Maarten (and the other readers, of course),

> think CD-ROMs are the real problem.

I agree. The FTP archives I've seen were okay with me.

> But what could such a council do?

We're the council at this moment :) no need to form another one. That's why
I posted the original message.

> I think the most practical approach is that everyone simply never buys
> XTORY and the like. If very few people buy it, the sellers will hopefully
> lose interest.

Yes, but I think we should make a stand against that blatant advertising -
on the newsgroup as well as that homepage.

> Also, games would be more expensive, while the hardware lock adds nothing
> to the fun.

That's the biggest problem in my opinion.

> Some disk protections are quite difficult to break. For example, how many
> people can make the Sunrise protection?

hmmmm ;)

> Anyway, the most effective strategy to prevent illegal copying of your
> software is to make it free software. The plus side is that you can spread
> it over the net, so much more people will use it. We did this with the MG2
> translation and now (one and a half years later) there are still people
> downloading it.

yeah but that's just avoiding the problem: you can put a halt to your
burglary-problems by making it legal...

> Is it possible to get messages (XTORY listings) kicked off usenet?

That's what I want to know. But remember, there needs to be a "detection"
algorithm, which can be avoided by creating some new formatted mail or from
a different sender, so we can only use it to discourage them.

> Getting them off WWW is probably quite simple. I once reacted to a person
> sending spam e-mails, and his provider shut down his account. If Cas and
> maybe some other people whose softwares were stolen send an e-mail to
> Geocities, they are likely to take action.

That's exactly what I was planning, but I decided to see how the msx
internet 'community' reacted before mailing geocities...

Bye,

Cas

Cas Cremers
Parallax MSX Games