Hi again,

> On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, I wrote:
>
> > As for the significance of a year2k-bug on MSX: I doubt anything much
> > will happen as a result of a MSX year2k-bug, simply because MSX's are
> > probably used in very few, or non, 'critical' applications. There's
> > surely not an airport anywhere that relies on MSX-computers for the

NYYRIKKI  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:

> Well... We have here airplane comppany called Finnair. They used to use
> Sony HB-G900p. Anyway they didn't controll traffic, but they used these
> computers for secury and simulation training (Don't ask me, what that
> means, but they said so) Anyway they did not use these computers anymore,
> but they still have few ones with HBU-G900p U-MATIC interface, HBI-G900p
> videotizer and Video-CD player.

I guess that would be an application where a modern 'multimedia' PC
would be used instead these days. I guess that would simply be using
such a machine as some sort of 'tutor', where a Video-CD
(LaserDisc- I think) player that can be hooked up to a HB-G900
(controlled over the built-in RS-232) would show the 'reading
material'. Sounds like a typical application for a HB-G900.

On that Russian MIR space station: after all the mess they made in
there, I'm 100% sure that any Year2K-bugs showing up in there, won't
be the reason for that thing coming back down to earth.... =8-<

Anyway, as I wrote earlier, I wasn't really refering to MSX COMPUTERS
being used in critical applications, but much more about MSX-like
TECHNOLOGY (system software, similar system set-up, use of parts
otherwise typically found in MSX systems, etc.). I think many of you
are indeed missing the point here, and its significance IS big for
sure. It just MIGHT get solved in other ways by the people dealing
with such systems, when we wouldn't get ourselves involved.

Greetings,

Alwin      ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

http://huizen.dds.nl/~alwinh/msx    (MSX Tech Doc page)
http://www.twente.nl/~cce/index.htm     (computerclub Enschede)

P.S. I found datasheets on the RP5C01 clockchip online recently, it
seems that Ricoh put it on their website a couple a months ago.
Finally some 'hard data' on MSX parts showing up on a manufacturers'
website....I'll include some pointers to it on my pages soon...

They had a nice Year2K statement on these parts as well, stating more
or less what I observed earlier: Rx5C01 clockchip HAS a
'century-bug', in the year 2000 it just doesn't show up.