At 01:57 PM 10/04/98 +0100, you wrote:

>About  the discussion on copy ethics & Active groups, I agree with the idea
>to use protection like "insert the word at line 5 in page 6 of the manual".

There are more subtle ways of making a protection that requires an original
manual. For example Solid Snake, where the decode tables of the tap codes
can be found in the manual.
To make such a protection more effective, you could have the game choose a
random check instead of a fixed check. What I mean is, that Solid Snake
will always have the same frequency as a solution, so every walkthrough
contains that frequency. But if you choose a random frequency out of a
resonably large set (for example 10 freqs), it much more difficult for
non-original owners to get that information.

>The hardware protections are no a good solution, there will be too many
>problems for registered users, and new challanges for hackers.

These problems are true also for the "look up in manual" protection. To be
kind to legal users, please make protections that show up only once in the
game. For example, put one protection at 30% of the game and another at
60%. If you have to look up a word every time you start a game, it's quite
irritating.

Bye,
                Maarten