At 04:19 PM 9/30/98 +0200, you wrote:

>I'm sure a good programmer knows how his trick works, but I think this
>"hiding" is especially important for demo-programmers (sorry Mark :) but
>I think that's the way it is) because a demo is usually nothing more than
>a technical trick. That's what you're selling, along with some of your ego
>:) (oops not to offend anyone) If the tricks are known, the demo isn't that
>much fun anymore. So there are reasons for that. It's up to you to decide
>if these are good reasons...

I've never been really secretive about coding tricks, but it's more fun
when other coders come to you to ask how you did it. If any spectator can
find out how it is done by pressing PAUSE, there is no fun in it (for the
coder). In a demo scene, it's most important to be the first to do
something, it doesn't really matter if other groups use the same trick
after you did.

>> > I´m sure that if they open that secrets to every one we will have more
>> > good programmers on the MSX ....

If you need info on VDP programming (not data sheets, but specific
questions), you can mail me, no problem.

But I agree with Cas that knowing a few tricks doesn't make you a good
programmer. Even for a demo, you need to do things like decompression, disk
access, integration of your program and a music replayer etc. And games are
even more complex (in my opinion anyway).

Bye,
                Maarten