>Here i have the msx technical databook , micro$oft 5 feb. 1986 rel.6.0
>It says on MSX2 memory mapper specification chapter 1 line 4
>
>- The mapping registers are at FCH to FFH of I/O address. The are both read
and
>write addresses. -
>
>So that rumor is solved , you are allowed to read them.
>The only problem is that the unused bit's of the registers can return
>unexpected data.( always 1 or 0 or the data you did write to it or maybe
crap)
>You first have to calculate the amount of memory and the number of used
bit's.
>If you have done this you can use this information to mask the return data
of the
>registers.
>You also have to take care that some people  have more then 1 mapper
>(however this is technically not allowed , but who cares)

As someone wrote in an email before (dunno who anymore), it WAS stated in
the MSX2 technical docs but later they realized that it was erroneous (is
that an english word?)... So it was just a thing which was stated
incorrectly. Besides, If I am right (I haven't checked this) some mappers
invert the relevant bits and some don't...