>btw... didn't the soundblaster 16 have an OPL3 or OPL4?

OPL3, just like the SBpro. The difference between SBpro and SB16 lies
in the A/D-D/A part, which is 8-bit in the SBpro and (oh wonder ;-))
16-bit in the SB16.

(And, AFAIK, OPL3 = 2xOPL2 - one for left and one for right :-))

> i challange you to name one analouge signal processing step in the fm-pac

The amps...

> (except for any amps)

Oh, sorry ;-)

> FM is actually quite simple... you take one wave and multiply it with
another
> to change the sound...

Eh, in principle, yes. I guess it becomes more complicated as soon as you
start
doing things like feedback :-)

>yeah, but megadrive didn't have an FM chip, did it?

Dunno, I thought it had some kind of SCC like thingie...

BTW, I own a FM-PAC made by Digital-KC which has an earphone out connector,
which has the drum sound on one side and the music sounds on the other.
Does that mean that the OPL has two separate outputs, or is it just a
filter processing the sound afterwards? (drums = relative high freq, so
a set of low/high pass filters could do the trick). I always wondered...

        Eric (would love to own a DX-7, btw ;-))