From: "Pierre Gielen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Hi,
>
> I've ordered a PC keyboard interface for MSX from Power Replay and hoped
> get it in Tilburg next saturday. However, according to the manufacturer
> (Padial) a special ROM version is needed for dutch PC keyboards and a
Dutch
> 8250 Philips MSX computer. I always thought we used standard QWERTY
> keyboards in the Netherlands, nothing special. And as far as I know there
is
> no Dutch version of the MSX system roms. Is there? Does anybody know about
> this?

I thought in the Netherlands we use the standard MSX (international)
keyboard. Maybe the interface is made for a non-standard MSX keyboard ?
There are Dutch PC keyboards but they are very hideous to use. They have a
Alt-Gr button and have rearranged some ;'/<>? keys. But PC keyboards send
scancodes based on the position of the key, and is then remapped in
software. So if you want your " to be at the place it is on the keyboard,
you will need to map it to another key.
But I bet you can type blind, right? Then there is no problem if you are
used to a standard US keyboard.

So it works like this (I think):
1. You hit a key (for example: P)
2. PC keyboard sends a code to interface (position of P)
3. Interface translates this according to a map for a specific PC keyboard
4. Interface simulates a 'hit' on the MSX keyboard, according to a map for a
specific MSX keyboard
5. MSX interprets this 'hit' according to a map for a specific keyboard (the
one it came with)

Greetz,
Patrick