On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Maarten van Strien (cs^tbl) wrote:

> I think a computer is dead when there're only some freaks left, and no
> prof. company. I think that after the Microcabin-era it was done commercially.

Really? ESE Artists' Factory are making big bucks selling MSX
Stuff. Syntax are. Sunrise are. MSX Magazine was sold out as soon as it
was released again. Try to buy a copy of Kyokugen. They're all sold
out. So the MSX is not so much dead as you may think.

> Why not make an OS for PC.. (eastern-os) which can use all PC cards
> (soundcards, videocards, network etc. etc.) and can acces harddisks etc.
> The OS could start in BASIC or DOS like we used to.. and basicly you can

Anything like this is bullshit.

> Some colleges here @ my work might get hand on a developers-kit for
> color-gameboy. And they don't plan to make games, but to do little demos! A
> real CGB scene will come-up trying to get all from that small thingy.. this
> is about the same with the MSX scene.

That's my point! Why is the GameBoy so successful, if it is obviously less
powerful than PSX or DreamCast? Because GameBoy games are completely
focused on playability instead of great visual effects. The same happens
with the MSX: MSX users feel comfortable with their computer, and the MSX
learning curve is very very fast because of the simpler hardware.

> the advantage of an MSX in PC would be that msx'er can use all videocards
> (play quake-like games :) and use new cool soundcards. and ofcourse.. use
> athlons as well :)

If you want to play PC-like games, then buy a PC.

> anybody ?

Certainly not me.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.aamsx.org