> Because you would have to rewrite the kernel almost
> completely. Memory
> management, scheduling, etc. It would be a
> completely different kernel,
> so it wouldn't be Linux.

 Linux is not just a kernel. To be sincere, the kernel
is the least important part of the OS. It just makes
the communication between software and hardware. What
makes Linux so special are the GNU tools made for it
(actually for their own flavor of free UNIX clone).

> Oh, and there ISN'T a port
> of Linux for the 286.

 The fact that it's still in development level doesn't
make it inexistent. UZIX is in development level,
though it exists. :)

 Linux is ALWAYS in development level and it exists!

 Windows is aslways, though slowly, in development
level and it unfortunatelly exists. :)

=====