Some remarks...

----------------------
Ivan Latorre wrote:
> Now I want to partition my Seagate 1.2Gb HD.
> I push "DEL" button in order to start MSX-DOS1 from floppy disk.

When pressing DEL, no IDE driveletters are created (and thus preventing
to boot from a not yet good formatted disk), but this has NO influence
on the DOSkernel that is used by the system. On TurboR the internal
DOS2.3x is used. On MSX2(+), the internal DOS2.2x from the IDE interface
is installed. THIS ALSO MEANS THAT YOU SHOULD BOOT FROM A FLOPPY WITH
THE APPROPRIATE MSXDOS2.SYS FILE. When using a 'DOS1 disk' this will
likely result in a malfunctioning system. (old MSXDOS.SYS uses direct
calls into the DOSkernel, but since this DOSkernel is not version 1.xx,
things might go wrong)

> Then I execute idefdisk.com (version 3.1). But the screen turns brown
> and the computer hangs up.
> My computer is a MSXturboR A1-GT.
>
> Does anyone what am I doing wrong?
==>use a DOS2 formatted floppy with MSXDOS2.SYS ver 2.3x.
------------------------------
Anne de Raad wrote:

> 1) Copy MSXDOS2.SYS, COMMAND2.COM and FDISK.COM (v3.1) to an MSX
> DOS2-formatted Floppydisk and start your computer pressing <DEL> on
> startup...
ok

> 2) Start fdisk 3.1 with the fat16-option, so type 'fdisk /fat16'
ok; except that you must type 'idefdisk /fat16'... :)

> 3) Display partitiontable and delete ALL partitions....To be sure

this is not really correct; if you are using a 'new' harddisk, you must
first do a 'Autogenerate partition table' to create an MSXIDE
partitiontable. After that you can do the 'display partition table' and
rearrange (kill/add) partitions as you like. If IDEFDISK can't detect an
MSXIDE partitiontable, the Add/Kill options won't be available in the
display menu.
So in your case you should do: 'Autogenerate..' and then 'Display....'
and then Kill all autogenerated partitions (it is only possible to kill
the last partition, you have to begin with number 30).

> 4) Move with the cursor to the first line and choose Add partition. Then
> type the size of the partition. Watch it, you have to type sectors and one
> sector is about 512 bytes....

it is also possible to type something like 2000K for 2000 kilobyte
partitions.. (refer to the TXTfile)

> 5) After you have typed i.e. 60000 (which gives you a approx. 30mB
> FAT12partition) you move the cursor down to the second line

if you want the maximum size for your FAT12 partition, you can type:
65401, but it is of course much easier to choose the predefined size
with the Up- and Downcursors. (try it !)

> 6) There you again choose Add partition. It now shows how many sectors are
> still available. Just type this number and a FAT16-partition is being
> created.
ok

> the created partitions
ok

> 8) Then choose the option with which you can ENABLE all partitions.
?? there is no such option... all created partitions are already enabled
by default.
probably you mean the 'Initialize all enabled partitions (logical
format)'
With this option all created partitions, are formatted with the
appropriate filesystem. Choose this option.

> 9) Reset your system and copy MSXDOS2.SYS and COMMAND2.COM in BASIC from
> your diskdrive to the FAT12-partition (probably your A-drive)......So 'copy
> "c:command2.com" to "a:" C: is floppydrive in this example....
ok

> 10) Rebooting will get you into DOS booted from drive A.....
ok

> 11) To access the FAT16-partitions you have to load FAT16.COM every time you
> start up....So put this in your AUTOEXEC.BAT or something
ok

> 12) Also remember you have to patch COMMAND2.COM to make the filehandling
> correct with FAT16-partitions.

the filehandling is correct even without the patch; as far as I know, it
only patches the routine to display the correct amount of K free when
doing DIR.

> Therefor you need to execute PATCHCOM.COM
> only 1 time....No need to start this program again and again....Just do it
> once....
ok

> Hopefully this will be of any help. It worked for me! ;-)

almost 10/10 :)

---------------------------

> Many thanks! Now all is working well. Why we cannot find detailed step by step
> instructions at Sunrise home page?

ask Sunrise; I don't assume it to be my job to make detailed manuals,
etc. There are enough experienced IDE users around who can make such
manuals (and have free MSXtime!)

> I´ve read all the .TXT files and they are not very clear.

I know.. the TXTfiles are not supposed to be manuals, but contain only
most important (technical) information that is not obvious to find out
yourself.
--------------------------------
> > Did you solve the Wrong version of MSX-DOS problem? If so: how?
>
> No, I didn't solve this problem. It solved itself! That's why I have
> the feeling something is still not 100% with either the Fdisk or the
> FAT16.com.....

I did some research: the message 'Wrong version...' is displayed by
MSXDOS2.SYS when the DOSkernel that is active is a DOS1 kernel. Normally
on TurboR, the DOS2.3x is used UNLESS A NON-DOS2.xx bootsector is found;
then the TurboR reverts automatically to DOS1. So I guess your problem
was caused by not booting your TurboR  with the DEL key when you still
had to format your harddisk. Because your hd didn't contain a valid dos2
bootsector, your TR went into DOS1 mode.

Moral of the story: when connecting hd's of which the format is not
'clean', start with DEL pressed to avoid bootproblems from this not yet
good formatted disks.

I hope most mysteries have been solved now...

Greetings,
Jon

****
Problems? contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] See also http://www.faq.msxnet.org/