Bart & Hapzee wrote:
>>> Why is anything for that fair hidden for non MSX.ORG members? It's
>>> silly! You are hiding MSX whilst you should SCREAM IT OF THE ROOFS
>>> that MSX IS ALIVE!
>
> It's rather silly indeed... We'll discuss it internally. We try to keep as
> much open to the public. Except things that must be verified before you
> may alter them (like your own links for example). All non interactive
> parts are always open to everyone.
> But thanks for the remark, we'll talk about it...

I can assure you I have not done this without reason. It is not my intention
to get www.msx.org more members, the reason for the participantslist to be
hidden 'behind' a login screen is, as I also mention at the fair overview,
because otherwise the personal data of the participants can be found by
search engines. I personally wouldn't be very glad if every stranger could
retrieve my address by simply typing my name in the search engine. My name
already turns up too often if I search for it :).

So, as you can see, it's not to get us more members.

What I could do at most is to unhide the list of participants overview (so
without the address information etc.), but that runs into some practical
objections: where to put it, then. I will then have to re-code certain
parts, whilst I just was glad that it was finished! Well, I will consider
this in my next update.

Sander Zuidema wrote:
> Eh,.. you should have replied to Laurens,

Ah, yes.

> here's my opinion though:
> in order to keep MSX alive, we need not only to give as much information
> as we can, we also need to get the people that are interested in MSX
> more active.

I fully agree.
I get more active because of msx.org :)

> As a crew-member I know msx.org has quite some interesting plans for the
> (near) future, which will mostly be available for members only. Our new
> forum has some advantages over the newsgroup and mailinglist (and, yes,
> offcourse, also some disadvantages) and that is
> available for members only as well...

The forum basically doesn't require a login, however it is advised to do so
because then the new messages icon will then appear correctly, and you will
be able to see which threads have new messages which you haven't read yet.
Otherwise it will only mark the threads new which are actually new since the
last two days or so.

> And, besides, it only takes a few seconds to become a member of msx.org

True.

In the future, we will create an auto-login feature which will save you some
hassle.

Oh, and by the way, you can change your msx.org password to pretty much
anything you like. A lot of people don't change their randomly generated
password, which I think makes it quite a hassle to login. Also in the future
we will change the system in which you create an account. You won't get a
random password sent to you anymore, which you then can alter, but you must
provide a password yourselves, and then you can verify your account by
clicking on a link. This should solve the problem at least for the new
members.