"Jun Sung Kim (???)" wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Maybe some of you misunderstood me...
>
> I want the minimum configuration NOT for MSX standard
> but for EXECUTING EXISTING BIOS.

> * PPI is needed to set up address space because of the slot/page conception
> of MSX standard.
> * So PPI must be configured at a very early stage of boot sequence. ....
> * Hmmm... To configure PPI, boot codes in ROM should be executed.
> * That ROM should be configured in memory space correctly before exection of
> the codes.
> * To configure that space, PPI should be configured... !#$%^&* ^^

I think you could run the BIOS without PPI/A8 register if you have the ROM fixed
on 0000-7FFF and RAM in C000-FFFF: all writes to the A8 port are ignored; all
reads from that port will return nonsense, but the BIOS will probably use that
nonsense (after masking some bits to select a slot) to write it back to A8, so
this won't do any harm. It will appear for the BIOS that you have 4 slots filled
with BIOSrom and RAM.

Of course you will encounter other difficulties (like reading nonsense from the
keyboard...)

Regards,

Jon