You should perhaps qualify that to be loading a brand new **XML** map.
The issue is that that the format does not (yet?) have a provision to
provide a "current" location.  A quick and dirty fix for that could be
for the map PROVIDER to provide a "currentRoom" or "startRoom" attribute
to the <map> element, but that is not appropriate for a MUD with
different starting points for different players/classes - or for players
already active in the game updating a new map whilst in-game.

IIRC the code to import an XML map file does try to save the current
player room and restore that after a map load (or it would if I had let
my creative juices swill around the issue whilst coding in that area, I
do not recall right now if I digested it or not).

On the recovery heuristics I would also offer:
* on the basis that rooms were mapped (and allocated room vnums) according to
the order in which the beginning player encountered them, it might be valid to
pick the lowest extant room number.

Though didn't some packages use room "1" as a storage location for data
in the roomUserData field? (Of course they could now migrate to the
mapUserData field but that isn't going to happen overnight.) OTOH IIRC
there is not currently any provision to parse such incoming data in the
XML file format anyhow so that is not a big issue - though I cannot
recall whether the XML code I did get into the code-base actually puts
un-handled XML data in user data parts of the map  data or that was only
in some prototype code.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mudlet
Makers, which is subscribed to Mudlet.

Title:
  Pick a room to display when loading brand new map

Status in Mudlet:
  New

Bug description:
  When a player opens Mudlet and download a map for the first time, they
  are not presented with a map like you'd expect. Instead the mapper
  says "No map or valid position" (but I just downloaded a map!).

  Besides getting the map makers to specify a default position in the
  maps, until one is there, some heuristics could be used:

  * current GMCP or ATCP room position, if one is available
  * pick largest area and select the room in the centre (so they at least see
something, even if it's not correct and where they are)

  Any others?