Peter Tomlinson schrieb:
> jackie wong wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have some question to ask on T=1 protocol card.
>> 1. Is T=1 card has higher speed than T=0 card? Why?
>> 2. Is T=1 card has higher security than T=0 Card? Why?
>>
>> Any advantage of T=1 protocol compare to T=0 protocol other than
>> ability of T=1 card to handle class 4 APDU.
>>
>> Regards,
>> claran
>>
> There's a very interesting discussion going on, but have any of you
> replied off list to try to answer Jackie's questions? I'm a bit out of
> my depth with the technical detail needed to answer, but my gut feeling is:
>
> 1. potentially yes, particularly where Class 4 APDUs are in use: more
> efficient processing is possible in both card and terminal (Andreas,
> care to comment?)
There should be no big difference in speed between T=0 and T=1. T=1
needs some more bytes for the framing of blocks, but therefore can
handle case 4 APDUs in a single step. The underlying asynchronous
transmission is the same.

The advantage of T=1 is a somewhat cleaner protocol stack. The
transmission layer (T=1 frames) is independent of the application layer
(7816-4 APDUs). It also provides a mechanism to exchange data between
different nodes, however this is not really for smart card, but more for
card reader communication. The MCT specs (CT-API and such) use T=1 as
default communication mechanism between a card reader and a PC. ISO
14443 (Contactless Smart Card) also uses a protocol derived from T=1.

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany