Well, your standard options for computing 2 to a fractional power are
either polynomial approximation or table look-up. If I'm reading it
correctly, the approach you quoted there is a second-order polynomial
approximation. You can gain accuracy at the cost of complexity by dialing
up the polynomial order.

Alternatively you can use a table look-up, along with some interpolation.
That will take more memory, but hopefully fewer operations per output. How
favorable either approach is will depend on your target architecture and
your resource constraints.

Another option is to use a successive approximation type approach, like
Newton's root-finding method. That can get a little hairier than the above
approaches, since it can (in general) require a variable number of
iterations to converge for different inputs. Although that can be
advantageous in certain situations, for example if you don't care about the
peak complexity but simply want to bring down the average complexity
subject to a given required accuracy.