IIRC, the discussion back then covered some topics like distortions created
with polynomial functions, etc.
Although DC isn’t a real problem in practical applications, there are many
cases, which are hard to predict, if they cause aliasing. A good example is FM,
which spectra can be predicted using Bessel functions, but who wants to do
that?
Or wave shaping using atan() or other transcendent functions.
I think, there was a conclusion, that there are cases, which aren’t covered so
well by theory, but the impact on the application can be overseen.

Steffan