robert bristow-johnson wrote:
On 6/9/15 4:32 AM, Vadim Zavalishin wrote:
Creating a new thread, to avoid completely hijacking Theo's thread.

it's a good idea.

I agree that there was the possibility of an unstable offense resolution, but I wasn't aware people were being afraid of that concept.

Look, it's a matter of decent engineer interactions and more so: decent scientific ausbildung, scientific method, and let's say "respect after failure". Moreover, for a lot of people who either are glad not to have to delve much in the mathematics, or who didn't get the chance to access proper higher education in the various fields, it might be the intellectual robbery that could be imminent isn't clear, and certainly disgusting.

I was glad to have been informed, as undergrad student, of the underpinnings I've put forward here, and maintain there are a few main things about sampling that I think some people ought to know, and as it so happens do know a bit about now. It's decent for academic engineers to follow a path where first they score enough points in the undergrad realm, then get taught decent mutual respect and communication modes about engineering subjects, then hopefully learn how to master a subject in science, and then they're off to be a decent, usually on the cool side, person with the ability to get into engineer problems at the appropriate level and deal with scientific sides to their work.

I've been around a European (at that time) top university long enough to know why that is so, and what's wrong with all kinds of funny and slightly interesting nerdy students trying to work themselves to a position of power, and I won't condone it in general, if I can in all decency help it. So when people work on a subject, get corrected at undergrad level (the same where many have passed through and are satisfied and usually successful with, and where the subjects taught are centuries old and tried) it's not proper to just happily go on and act as if a personal and professional sense of honor can be seconded to some end that will justify all inter-engineer injustice, and in the end social interactions with all people matter not enough to be a solid and recognizable person.

Anyhow, as a summary once more: the only proper way to sample a signal (with the obvious conditions luckily reiterated regularly) and process it or play it back properly is based on a theory that cannot be internally reversed or made into a local signal processing idea, while maintaining general applicability. And I know there are some signal precautions and some modes of processing possible that IMO have been thought about at least in the 60s, and maybe before I was born.

Unfortunately a lot of software and DSP code is just as limited as it is and that's not going to change if enthusiastic and clearly extremely immature mathematicians are going to try out new "theories" or engage in opportunistic word games. It just is no different, even if I'd want it to be.

So once more: it doesn't matter what you do in sample space much, if I don't see sinc function reconstruction preferably with a quantification of the errors involved, I'm not going to ratify the ideas as scientifically proper enough to make a theoretic strong point with, let alone history. Maybe I am actually sorry as a person that there are so many errors in the often promoted as "perfect" digital signal processing domain, but that doesn't change anything!

So about that idea (not really of mine) to think about the effect of the DACs interpolation and smoothing filters: that's real, but still you need the *properly reconstructed signal* first, and THEN on top of that make sure the signal wurst-ing that goes on in the DAC comes out the way you want. Terribly complicated as that seems, to me it's rather basic.

T.