On 23/07/2015, robert bristow-johnson <r...@audioimagination.com> wrote:
> Peter, do you know how a sigma-delta (or delta-sigma, people don't
> always agree on the semantics) converter works?
>
> like how a sigma-delta modulator works?  oversampling?  possible
> dithering?  noise-shaping?  decimation (involving low-pass filtering and
> downsampling)?
>
> do you have any idea what i am talking about (or writing about)?

Yes I do. Do you have any idea that 'dithering' means adding noise to
the signal?

Do you realize that -110 dB is a *lot* louder than the theoretical
noise floor of an 1-bit dithered 24-bit signal without noise shaping,
which would be at -138 dB?

If - according to you - they could have a  -138 dB noise floor, why do
they have a -110 dB noise floor instead? Ever wondered that? That
makes zero sense.

Do you realize that noise shaping *increases* the amplitude of the noise?

> also, even in the least-significant bits, there is signal embedded (or
> buried) in the noise.  it's not as if they appended 4 noisy bits to the
> right of a 20-bit word.  they didn't do that.

Despite that, it's still *noise*, hence it is unpredictable, hence it
is "unfixable". If you have an 1-bit amplitude signal, and "embed" it
in 4 bits of noise, then you won't "hear" that 1-bit amplitude signal
because the 4 bits of noise will mask it entirely. Hence, your lowest
bits are "unusable", because the noise entirely masks it.

-P