Thank you Douglas. Some of the toxic replies here have really harmed the
friendly spirit and approachability of this mailing list.

-----Original Message-----
From: music-dsp [mailto:music-dsp-boun...@music.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of
Douglas Repetto
Sent: 22 August 2015 16:22
To: A discussion list for music-related DSP
Subject: [music-dsp] [admin] list etiquette

Hi everyone, Douglas the list admin here.

I've been away and haven't really been monitoring the list recently.
It's been full of bad feelings, unpleasant interactions, and macho posturing.
Really not much that I find interesting. I just want to reiterate a few things
about the list.

I'm loathe to make or enforce rules. But the list has been pretty much useless
for the majority of subscribers for the last year or so. I know this because
many of them have written to complain. It's certainly not useful to me.

I've also had several reports of people trying to unsubscribe other people and
other childish behavior. Come on.

So:

* Please limit yourself to two well-considered posts per day. Take it off list
if you need more than that.
* No personal attacks. I'm just going to unsub people who are insulting. Sorry.
* Please stop making macho comments about "first year EE students know this"
and blahblahblah. This list is for anyone with an interest in sound and dsp. No
topic is too basic, and complete beginners are welcome.

I will happily unsubscribe people who find they can't consistently follow these
guidelines.

The current list climate is hostile and self-aggrandizing. No beginner, gentle
coder, or friendly hobbyist is going to post to such a list. If you can't help
make the list friendly to everyone, please leave. This isn't the list for you.

douglas