On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Scott Gravenhorst <music.ma...@gte.net>
wrote:

>  I've also been experimenting with threads and CPU affinity as well as
> isolcpu to isolate cores.  My assumption (which could be incorrect) is that
> isolated cores will run at near bare metal efficiency because the
> interrupts from random devices and other mundane kernel tasks will be
> handled by the core or cores left for the kernel's use and that the clocks
> of the isolated core or cores can be used to generate samples with more
> time deterministic properties than would be without isolated cores.

I have no idea if that will work or not, but it sounds like you are
thinking about the right things. I'll just note that some operating systems
make specific information available about how long it takes them to do
things like handle an interrupt and return execution to a high priority,
user-domain process (I'm thinking of "real-time" operating systems like QNX
and Irix). This can be useful for determining how large your buffers need
to be, even if your cores are interrupted, and even if need to handle
unexpected situations. I don't know if Linux does this, but since you are
running on fixed hardware, you should be able to determine optimal buffer
sizes and so on through testing.

bjorn

--
Bjorn Roche