Hi there,

On 2/25/2016 3:57 PM, Evan Balster wrote:
When working with tonal signals, it has been proposed that brightness be normalized through division by fundamental frequency. This produces a dimensionless (?) metric which is orthogonal to the tone's pitch, and does not typically fall below a value of one. Whether such a metric corresponds more closely to brightness than the spectral centroid in hertz depends on a psychoacoustics question: Do humans perceive brightness as a quality which is independent from pitch?

Interesting topic.

Finding a (more-or-less) universal numerical recipe that can be used to predict a perceptual, verbally designated attribute (in this case "brightness") represents in itself a difficult problem with many potential biases. An example is the definition of "brightness", which might be subject to language-specific and tone- / instrument- specific biases.

Regarding the methods proposed in this thread, I personally believe that an audio frame could be split into deterministic (partials) and stochastic (noise floor) components (see Xavier Serra's work from 1989), and propose different "centroid" measures for each of these components, which could then be combined in some desired way.

In any case, many researchers have studied the /orthogonality/ between perceived brightness and fundamental frequency in certain contexts. This is an example:

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/reprints/SchubertWolfe06.pdf

But if I had to give a name, I would probably go for Stephen McAdams.

Cheers,
Esteban

--

Esteban Maestre