Theo wrote:
>I get there are certain statistical ideas involved. I wonder
>however where those ideas in practice lead to, because
>of a number of assumptions, like the "statistical variance"
>of a signal. I get that a self correlation of a signal in some
>normal definition gives an idea of the power, and that you
>could take it that you compute power per frequency band.
>But what does it mean when you talk about variance ?

>Of course to determine a statistical measure about a spectrum,
>either based on sampled signals or (where the analysis comes
>from and is only generally correct for signal from - to + inf) on a
>continuous signal, and based either on a Fourier integral/summation
>or a Fast Fourier analysis (with certain analysis length and frequency
>bin accuracy), you could use the general big numbers theorem and
>presume there's a mean and a variance. It would be nice to at least
> make credible why this is an ok analysis, because a lot of signals are
>far from Gaussian distributed in the sense of the frequency spectrum.

So we are employing prob/stat terms like mean and variance, and normalizing
the power spectrum so that it looks like a probability density.

However, this is only a matter of semantics, we are not required to
actually treat the signals in question as random. The whole thing works the
same way regardless of whether we apply it to the power spectral density of
a random signal, or the power spectrum of a deterministic signal (which is
what we've been doing so far here).

The goal is to find some simple features of the spectrum that capture
something about how "bright" it is - so the center of mass of the spectrum,
and maybe also its spread. Then we can compare these features to make
estimates of whether one signal is "brighter" than another, for example.
This is not required to be a complete characterization of the spectrum in
question - as you note, absent some other assumption like Gaussianity, the
first two moments will not be sufficient to completely characterize it.
It's only supposed to give us some (hopefully) meaningful indication of
certain broad properties of the spectrum. The hope would be that two
(different) spectra with the same first moment will have similar
"brightness," and so that statistic is sufficient to capture the property
in question.

These are simply features of a power spectrum, much like familiar
quantities of bandwidth, peak level, transition width, etc. They do admit a
prob/stat interpretation, which is interesting but secondary to the primary
motivation here.