Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you all for the stimulating discussion on this forum. I have
a career advice question for which I would value your input.

My background is mechanical engineering (my PhD was in modelling and
control of engines), I've  freelanced for years simulating dynamic systems
and figuring out ways to control them. I've also maintained a parallel
career as a professional musician and producer, with a lot of experience
recording, mixing  and mastering. My holy grail is to bring the 2 strands
together into a single career which is why I've taken an active interest in
audio signal processing, software and hardware design.

My questions are:

- Can you recommend any courses / resources for filling in my knowledge
gap. I can just about follow most of what gets discussed here though my
practical experience of most techniques is minimal.

- What are the essential areas of knowledge required to follow a career in
audio signal processing, what route did you take (self taught / MSc / PhD,
on the job learning?)

- What are the job opportunities like (and where) and what are the biggest
growth areas in the field?

Apologies if this is a little off-topic, but I greatly appreciate any
advice you can offer.

With best regards

Roshan 'Tosh' Wijetunge

www.wijproductions.com