Hi

While designing and testing an automatically created filter/multi-compressor
bank of 30 "jack-rack" holders of (Linux) Ladspa DSP elements, I was reminded of
something I've noticed before. Some audio effects use a lot of CPU resources
when
idle, or in other words when no signal input is present.

The way I work is having Jack run it's standard 32 bit floating point audio, and having a lot of these racks suddenly use half a thread processor of the CPU a piece has two negative side effects: the CPU gets hot (when the clock is maxed out even too hot), and there are X-Runs (audio processing graph run failures) which, even when signal returns, take a while to disappear before normal processing resumes.

I tested one solution of this problem, there's another: check out the (Open) Source code and fix the problem, namely: inject the signal graph with a -160dB tiny noise signal, which prevents it from going into overload mode. So I made another jack-rack with a noise generator, adjusted it to -80dB, limited the signal and attenuated another 80dB so that no signal processing I work with has serious trouble with the added noise. This appears to work: the processor load remains constant in the absence of signal.

Theo V.