And here's how I've been doing it before the RNG approach, I present you:

The Go strategy of impulse spacing

If the delay loop period is 1, in a first step this places the impulses so that consecutive impulses fall exactly in between already delayed impulses within the first periods,
by setting the ratio "a" according to

Na mod = a/2 and Na mod 1 = 1 - a/2 for N = 2,3,4...

which gives the series a = 2/(2n-1) and 2 = 4/(2n+1) :

2/3, 2/5, 2/7, 2/9... and 4/5, 4/7, 4/9, 4/11...

Note that reciprocals work in a similar way.
The first delay in this strategy can also be set to a = 1/2 which gives ratios of 0.5, 0.66667 and 0.8, or pitch differences of -12, -7.02 and -3.86 semitones.
We see the octave is neatly divided by this strategy.

With rational ratios like this, the pattern would repeat quickly and impulses would fall
exactly on delayed impulses after a few iterations.
Therefore we now carefully detune the ratios so that consecutive repetition cycles
do not coincide.

There are also strategies for detuning and to avoid beating and flanging
as well as certain magic numbers which fulfill this and additional criteria.

Once a satisfying couple or triplet has been found the ratios can be reused
on additional early diffusion stages, scaled by a matching strategy
like Schröders 1/3^n scaling.

Comments?