On 15/04/18 20:55, Frank Sheeran wrote:
I'm currently just looping and calling sin() a lot.  I use trivial 4-way symmetry of sin() and build a "mipmap" of progressively octave-higher versions of a wave, to play for higher notes, by copying samples off the lowest-frequency waveform.  That still is only 8x faster than the naive way to do it.

I know in theory that a FFT or DFT will turn a CONTINUOUS graph of frequency into a graph of time, and vice versa, but if I don't have a a continuous graph of frequency but rather an array of strengths, can I still use it?

this sounds a lot like FFT-1 by Freed, Rodet, Depalle:
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/IRCAM/hal-01105443

I thought of making a continuous graph of frequency from my harmonics, but 1) sounds quite imprecise

nope, since you also have to provide the phase

and 2) I note real FFT graphs have smooth "hills" where harmonics are, rather than point peaks, and am wondering whether I'd get expected output if I didn't generate those hills.

                                                                ...Diemo

--
Diemo Schwarz, PhD -- http://diemo.concatenative.net
Sound–Music–Movement Interaction Team -- http://ismm.ircam.fr